(1) Is the Accelerated Reader program by Renaissance Learning an effective tool for measuring reading comprehension? What are the long term effects on the reader’s desire to read for enjoyment?
(2) I will be studying my 4th grade students.
(3) In my study, I will be looking at the effectiveness of the Accelerated Reader program in terms of measuring reading comprehension as well as improving student attitudes towards reading.
(4) To gauge the effectiveness of the program, I will have the students complete reading attitude surveys at the beginning and end of my research. I will also analyze student test scores and compare them with oral and/or written summaries of the book conveyed/written by the students.
(5) For the reading attitudes portion, my research will take a non-experimental quantitative design. Students will be taking surveys as the main means of determining their attitudes towards reading. To determine the effectiveness of the program in terms of measuring reading comprehension, I will take a mixed-method approach, focusing more on the explanatory research design. In phase one, I will look at the test scores of the students. In phase two, I will interview students or ask for written summaries which will be used to determine whether the Accelerated Reader quiz score seems to align with the depth of understanding conveyed in the oral or written summary.
I'm Edie - wife, mom, instructional designer,online instructor, home renovator,
and lover of nature, travel, technology, and vintage campers!